Sexual Assault and sexual HARASSMENT
In Canada, consent consists of three things:
1) It’s voluntary (not forced be anyone, you give it yourself)
2) It’s continuous (you can withdraw consent at anytime)
3) There is a presence of a YES (the yes can verbal or non-verbal.)
Workplace harassment comes in two main forms:
1) Quid Pro Quo (this for that): This ranges from a literal trade of job benefits for sexual favours, to more insidious things, such as having job benefits tied to submission of sexual conduct.
2) Hostile Environment: This involves a pattern of comments or touch of sexual nature that impacts one’s ability to function at work. Examples include: inappropriate jokes, derogatory language, sexual pictures or porn displayed, or failure to prevent from any of these behaviours.
Workplace sexual harassment isn’t always clear to see. If you are concerned about you or someone else experiencing sexual harassment, REACH OUT and take action!
Sexual Assault Centre London
Crisis support line: 519-438-2272
Allison Preyde’s email: Allison@sacl.ca
Western Equity & Human Rights Services www.uwo.ca/equity
In Somerville House past the washrooms
Western’s Centre for Research & Education on Violence Against Women & Children
HBA Program Services
Second floor of the Ivey building
There are many more resources – please let us know if you would like us to provide you with or put you in touch with other resources.